Thursday 20 January 2011

SLAYER | «World Painted Blood»

Release Date: 11/2009
Label: American Recordings
Vinyl Color: Black
Pressing Info: 180 gram virgin vinyl with printed inlay.

That sticker on the corner of the album says almost everything you need to know about it. This is a European pressing of the latest Slayer record, «World Painted Blood», on 180 Gram High Quality vinyl -- a bit redundant if you ask me... if it's 180 gram (heavy as a really heavy thing) it's supposed to be high quality, right? -- with a nice gatefold cover and printed insert with lyrics on one side and a variation of the cover on the opposite. Musically it's business as usual for Slayer, with some punishing tracks along some others that could well have been left in the studio floor. Not as good as the classics, but not as bad as some of the stuff they've been putting out in the last decade either.





I don't think this is limited or difficult to get -- the pressing must have been large enough to supply the demand and it will take some time before it's eligible as a collectors item -- but this one is special for several different reasons...

1) I was looking at it when the idea of starting this little blog thing hit me hard;
2) It was a Christmas present and I can't remember the last time someone gave me a record as a gift;
3) It was a joint gift by two really special persons in my life;
4) The person that bought it didn't even knew I still had a turntable;
5) It's a SLAYEEEEER record, ghuddamn! ;)


IF I WAS A REAL GEEK I WOULD ALSO WANT: the «Psychoptahy Red» 7"; limited to 5.000 copies and pressed on transparent red vinyl. The single comes in a brown blood-stained crime-scene "evidence envelope"-style package with insert, all with Russian letters, as the song was inspired by Russian serial killer Andrei Chikatilo (aka the Rostov Ripper) who claimed to have murdered 56 children. This was released in celebration of the third annual Record Store Day on April 18, 2009 and sold exclusively at selected independent record stores. Feel free to get in touch in the comments if you have a spare you're willing to part with and send my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment